Vice President, Public Affairs, 9/11–5/16
Established Washington, D.C. public affairs practice for successful Midwest based branding and advertising firm.
- Kept Pratt and Whitney’s military engines favorably positioned on DoD programs including F-35, C-17 and next generation aircraft.
- Developed multi-platform social media presence and content strategy for Engine Alliance (a joint venture of Pratt & Whitney and General Electric) with significant increase in followers snd engagement.
- Developed a Do-It-Yourself visibility and grassroots advocacy guides for trade associations and small companies.
Managing Director, 2/03 – 3/11
Designed and executed grassroots media and public affairs campaigns. Oversaw the on-the-ground campaigns in all 50 states mobilizing key constituencies, recruiting third-party allies, building local coalitions and generating earned-media coverage.
- Recruited and maintained national network of state-based political and communications consultants.
- Managed the firm’s efforts on award winning media and grass tops campaign making Pratt & Whitney sole source on the Pentagon’s $40 billion F-35 engine program.
- Executed campaigns in key states supporting Amazon’s position on sales tax issues.
- Ran an effective grasstops reputation enhancement campaign using sub-prime borrowers as spokespeople following the real estate crash for the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- Educated consumers about Splenda for the U.S. Sugar Association.
Field Manager, 5/02-2/03
Designed and executed grassroots media and public affairs campaigns. Oversaw the on-the-ground campaigns in states and congressional districts mobilizing key constituencies, recruiting third-party allies, building local coalitions and generating earned-media.
Senator Ben Nelson
Legislative Assistant – 1/01 – 5/02
Drafted and tracked legislation. Prepared issue briefs, talking points, floor speeches and committee statements. Favorably positioned Senator Nelson on education, energy, and telecommunications issues. Proposed and managed amendments for legislation including the No Child Left Behind Act and the Energy Policy Act. Represented Senator Nelson at internal and external events in Washington, D.C. and Nebraska.
Harry Reid, Bob Kerrey and Ben Nelson for Senate
Issues and Rapid Response Director 5/97 – 12/00
Prepared exhaustive personal, professional, political and legislative background on all primary and general election candidates. Anchored a communications team responsible for paid and earned media, rapid response, direct mail, public opinion research and analysis, and debate prep.
- Issues and rapid response director on a campaign that reelected Senator Reid by one of the closest margins in modern campaign history. Pioneered the use of digital tools for rapid response.
- Elected Democrat Ben Nelson to the Senate in deep red Nebraska the same year George W. Bush won the state by 29%.
Policy Adviser, 5/95–5/97
Developed policy analysis, research and political strategy for Senate Democratic staff. Drafted material to represent the Senate Democratic leadership’s position on key issues. Served as information resource for Democratic staff members on legislation, policy and political issues.
- Organized staff briefings and media events with think tanks, policy organizations and issue experts to advance the Senate Democratic agenda.
- Staffed Senator Reid at Democratic leadership events.
The Catholic University of America, B.A. English Language and Literature – 1990